Color Mixing That Can’t Miss (Sep, 1946)
Color Mixing That Can’t Miss
With 12 ingredients, a paint dealer now can reproduce any one of 1,000 colors exactly in a few minutes.
GUESSWORK has been eliminated from paint mixing by a scientific system that gives each of 1,000 colors a number of its own and provides a foolproof formula for reproducing it. With the initial help of a novel paint chart on plastic, a paint dealer using the Nu-Hue system, recently developed by The Martin-Senour Company, can quickly reproduce any of the 1,000 colors from a stock of only 12 ingredients.
Nu-Hue utilizes six colors—red, yellow, orange, purple, blue, and green—plus neutral gray, white, an oil or some other extender, and a varnish. The colors were selected on the basis of what they do when combined, not what they are when used alone. Combining one or more of them with gray and white produces any desired color. And the formulas provide unvarying results after the paint is dry. They can be used to produce any type of coating from flat to high-gloss.
1. Selection of exactly the right matching or complementary color is made easy with Nu-Hue Custom Color charts. The transparent plastic sheets with painted chips embedded in them may be brought into the home and placed over any fabric, painted surface, or furniture.
2. Nine plastic plates contain 1,000 color chips, arranged in the order of the spectrum. The first plate’s colors are most intense; the others display lighter tints. Each plate is a standard color wheel.
3. A code number on the back of each chip gives the key to finding its formula in the directory, provides data for custom-mixing.
4. The card-type directory has paint swatches of all the colors, also arranged in spectral order, with the formulas printed on them. Then it is simply a matter of measuring and mixing.
5. For the paint dealer who handles a large volume of business, a dispenser for the colors and other ingredients has been designed. With a maximum of 12 containers and the formulas from the color directory, the dealer is then equipped to produce any color in the time it takes to stir paint before using.