Looking for a CSS/HTML Coder
If you’re skilled in css and html please do me a favor and look at the css file for this site. Then look at the source of this page.
Did you have to fight the urge to cry, throw up or punch something? Do you feel sullied? If so you’re just the person I’m looking for. While I can be completely OCD about scanning, straightening, OCRing images and whatnot, css just drives me mad. I’m awful at it and it makes my brain hurt. The template of this site is basically a mashup of an older template and a newer design, retrofitted to work on the YUI-Grid framework and hacked on by your’s truly until it seemed to look decent for most of the people, most of the time. It looks alright, but under the covers it’s a complete mess.
Lately this has become a problem because I’ve been wanting to add some new features to the site via some wordpress plugins. However, they all seem to expect some sort of rational styles, and thus look completely messed up when I try them out.
I’m looking for someone to help me clean up and recode the css and some of the html on the site. You don’t need to redesign anything, though if you want to, I’d certainly be open to it.
I’ll be happy to give you a big plug, and permanent credit on the site, which actually has a surprisingly decent amount of traffic. I can even pay you in either a moderate amount of cold, hard cash, or a large quantity of old magazines (I have lots of duplicates), or some mix of the two.
If you’re interested, please email me, or leave a comment on this post.
By the way, if anyone is interested in the features I’m planning on adding, here’s my list, everyone please let me know which of these you’d like most, and any others you think I should add:
- Better comments system possibly coComment, or Intense Debate but at least something that allows users to edit their comments, use gravatars, have profiles and has better threading and spam control.
- Post view counts, ratings, favorites, etc so you can get lists of the most popular posts
- Forums, for discussions that don’t regard a specific post
- User contributed content, either through custom software, image galleries, or the forums. Not sure which.
- Better ways to navigate and explore the content on this site. This one is all me, but it would be a lot easier with a decent template to work with. I want to add browsing by year, topic, article length, etc.
- User tagging. I’ve started tagging some posts as you’ve probably noticed, but there are another three or four thousand that are untagged and that I’ll never get the time to do myself. It would be nice if users could help contribute to this process. Actually, this I could probably do now, so if any of my regular readers would like to help, drop me a line.