Polio-Mobile (Mar, 1947)
This hospital-on-wheels brings new hope to isolated polio victims.
THE dread disease often strikes far away from modern hospitalization. This fact gave rise to the mobile polio clinic pictured here. Built into a nine-ton semi-trailer and drawn by a tractor-truck, the unit was developed by the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis, under the supervision of Alan A. Rich. Packed into the comparatively limited space of the trailer are an iron lung, a hot pack machine for Sister Ken-ney treatments, a resuscitator, aspirators . and a ray lamp. The mobile clinic can be rushed to sections where outbreaks of polio overtax stationary equipment. The unit has already been in action in the Peoria, Ill., area. It proved invaluable.